Monday, October 22, 2007

Talk About Politics at Church

This past year my wife and I have enjoyed watching the debates of both political parties. People like to whine about the President or politics, but much of what they talk about is only what the news is reporting to them. We feel at our home that we need to be informed of who believes what and what they are trying to accomplish. While I will never endorse a political party I will always talk openly for who I vote for. I will also talk about engaging politics straight from the pulpit. Recently I pleaded with people to watch the debates so that they can be better informed. The Church should never hide from politics! If anyone should care about where this country is headed it should be those who belong to Christ Jesus.

I am not certain if many Churches spend time talking about this, but I know at our Church we do. We don't always agree, but we know that this is an important time in our country and we want to be informed of what each candidate believes. In my former ministry there were some strong leaders who were outspoken Democrats and many confided in me that because of how they approached the subject that they were timid in expressing their own views. This is not productive for those who share a common faith in Christ. We have many leaders at our Church who are on both sides of the fence. Our discussions are always productive even when we do not agree. We realize that the issue of where we are heading as a country is of extreme importance to all of us. No matter which party you lean toward or where you stand on vital issues learn to talk about this with other believers. Those of us who represent Christ should be discussing major issues facing this country with each other and comparing every candidate's beliefs with scripture. Jesus engaged His culture.......why shouldn't we?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It does seem to be the norm to go with the party of choice and not the one who has the Lord's will in mind.

Pastor Jeff said...

Exactly right Skubalon! How many times has a Church really came together and prayed for God's guidance before a major election? I suppose we treat it as something trivial when in fact it has huge implications for all of our futures.