Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Fire In San Diego

It has been several days and the fire in Southern California is still going strong. Nothing can be more devastating that losing all of your possessions in a fire. The images on the news become so discouraging. None of us would wish this type of calamity on anyone. One report on the nightly news said that Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego opened its doors up to the public. There were many grateful people who appreciated the services that have been provided there. Sometimes in the darkest moments we see wonderful glimpses of hope from other people in this country.

When things get tough and disaster hits Americans can sometimes shine the brightest. That is one thing that I love about this country. When a multitude of people are affected by disaster we see that America still has a big heart. This is a lesson for the Church of America to absorb. I wonder as I watch the news each night with the fire still raging how many Christians are stepping up to help out those in need? When calamity hits our neighbors we have a chance to minister in the name of Jesus and bless those around us. Jesus said that the greatest 2 commandments were to love God with all we are and to love our neighbors as ourselves. Do we live that out like we should?

There is not a major disaster going on in the part of Illinois that I live in, but that doesn't mean that I should be slack in loving my neighbor. There are people around me who are suffering emotionally, financially, and physically. I need to have the attitude of the owners of Qualcomm Stadium and the love of Jesus to drive me to do what I have been saved to do. The hardest part of living out the Gospel of Christ is taking the first step out of my comfort zone.

No comments: