Friday, July 6, 2007

Are We Too Comfortable?

I get upset sometimes in the morning if I don't have half & half to pour into my coffee. I don't get a little irritated, I actually become a bit angry for about a half hour or so. That seems very petty and immature I think to myself as the day goes on. Through the day I forget about it and then as I am flipping through the channels at 8:30 p.m. I am reminded how immature it really is. I come across a Christian channel that primarily shows many Pentecostal programs, but this one is not Pentecostal and it is very different. The Program I watched was Life Today which is a ministry of James and Betty Robison. I believe that James Robison is a former Baptist Pastor which is a bit different from the Independent Christian Church freewill theology that I am accustomed too. His background does not bother me at all because as I have been watching the program lately I see a fellow Christian brother with a heart that takes him out of his comfort zone.


Yesterday's episode had a guest on talking about wisdom and a little booklet that the guest had written. Usually they focus on a person and the ministry connected to that person and I enjoy the show if I am interested in the subject matter. Yesterday's program had a 10 minute segment at the end that dealt with the ministry work that James & Betty do on the continent of Africa. They have a heart and passion of making sure that those without clean running water will receive it. I have known about their work for some time, but last night it tugged at my heart in a new and fresh way. It made me examine my own lifestyle and I began to think of all the little things that I complain about and take for granted. It made me realize that I live a wonderful life of comfort without a great deal of sacrifice.

Our lifestyle as Christians are very lavish in North America. I believe that God formed me and knitted me together as Psalm 139 tells me. I believe that God formed and knitted me together for this time and for the place that I live. But do I buy into the comfortable lifestyle a bit too much? I am starting to think that I have too much. I find myself wanting to learn how not to be so materialistic. I am realizing that I am not so sure of the time God has allowed me to have in this place. There is no guarantee of my life span. What I do with the time God has given me is extremely important. I must prayerfully desire to become a daily blessing in all areas of my life and learn to be a sacrificial Christian. I might not be able to touch the continent of Africa in a way that James and Betty do, but I can have a huge impact in my own community.

Everywhere there are people around us who are hurting in some way. It could be financial problems, marital problems, emotional problems, or problems just dealing with life. A disciple of Jesus in North America must learn to get out of their comfort zones and self-centered living and engage those outside of the Church in the name of Jesus if they want to make an eternal impact. Our days are filled with meeting our own needs and we see this as normal. What a shame! Matthew 25 deals with people who did the work of the Kingdom and those who did not. Every Christian should periodically look at this chapter of the Bible. Have we forgotten that there is expectations on the Christian life? We need to get moving! We need to get out of our comfort zones! Jesus sacrificed His life for us! What are we doing for Him?


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes! Yes! Yes!

We are. Sickly so. Matter of fact I blogged on it. "Scripture is Useless in America." We in America can't relate to Pauls talk about suffering for the Gospel. Or some of the other things.

China, maybe or North Korea, but not America.

Pastor Jeff said...

Skubalon,

I remember the thread well (skubalon can be linked from this site). I enjoyed it because I thought it was right on target. One of our Elders is a really good visionary and we are prayerfully trying to figure out how to increase our outreach beyond Sunday mornings. We have a few things going on, but we want to stretch ourselves in greater ways.

I believe God blesses those who fulfill the Great Commission. I wonder how many Christians know what that is or where to find it in their Bibles. I don't want my main focus to be on Sunday Mornings or my church background. I want my focus to be on radically changing my community for Jesus.

skubalon said...

Since listening to Way of the Master all the time I have really went less to what can we do the grow the church or does God bless our church if we do reach out. But more of "this is what God called us to do and we should get up off our butts and do so." No more mambie pambie sitting one our rears. We need to get up and get it done no matter the results. The scriptures are clear we are to be spreading the news. Plant the seeds.