Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Anonymously Missional

The word "Missional" seems to be a big buzz word with the Church right now. I don't know what you think of the word, but I have become fond of it in that last year. Our Youth Pastor gave me a book by Mark Driscoll (Confessions of a Reformission REV) and that was the first place that I heard of it. I like the word because it reminds the Church that there is work to be done. I like the word because the Church has become complacent in America instead of being Missional. Everyday I wake up I make sure I offer up praise to God for the Church that I am blessed to Pastor because they have a Missional mindset. Great Elders, Great Staff, and a wonderfully loving congregation.

Several days ago it was mentioned that a family in our Church had a need and that they are in a tight spot for the moment. It was mentioned because someone with a Missional mindset decided that it was time to quit talking about it and time to make a move about the situation. Within 48 hours of making the need known to one person, it became known to many more. Today I received a phone call from someone in the Church who caught wind of this need who also has a Missional heart and they decided to take care of the need. This is what it is all about! The love of Christ should compel His people to minister to each other because their lives have been so radically transformed by His love and grace.

Missional for me is reaching out to a believer or non-believer both in the name of Jesus. There are many in all of our Churches who do not have this mindset. Church has become a ritualistic practice instead of a transforming experience. We need Missional minds in the 21st Century to impact the culture around us. James 2 tells us that "faith without works is dead!" So if Sunday morning is nothing more than a ritual or a routine do you really have a Biblical faith? Missional Christians understand that there is always work to be done in the Kingdom and for the Kingdom. They are passionate people who are connecting to Jesus and in turn are on fire for His agenda in their communities to be accomplished. A Church that collectively understands this is a Church that is moving forward with God. This mindset needs to permeate every Disciple because it is what Jesus taught the first disciples. 12 men once changed the world, how much more can thousands of churches filled with Missional Christians?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I myself have been a bit confused by the use of this buzz word. Sometimes I see it used in contexts which have nothing to do with mission from God. I agree that in the Church today we suffer from sever apathy. We must receive the Great commission and make disciples. However, I would also like to caution against the other extreme which is to put the mission above the king. For instance, I know of some people who are passionately involved in pro-life rallies and groups etc etc. They are so passionate about it that it takes precedence over really seeking God and serving him. This is just one example of a good cause, which I think God has a heart for, being placed above the Lord himself.

Dan
www.exicarus.com

Pastor Jeff said...

Good thoughts Dan! You are correct. We can go to either extreme sometimes. Part of my frustration lately has been the selfish attitude in the Church. We spend so much time and energy worrying about Sunday morning service being a certain way that we forget that there is a lot of work to be done the other 6 days of the week.