Thursday, March 8, 2007

Caution: Work Zone Ahead

I have lived over a decade of my life in some type of City setting. I love the City! I love the sights, sounds, and smells. I love the buildings, concrete, and the pavement. I don't even mind traffic like most people do. With all of that said I must admit that even though I have a love for the City one of the things that frustrate me is when Road Constuction messes with my schedule. If you are a routine person then you know what I am talking about. We inwardly curse Constuction Sites and are disgusted when any road with construction is not fixed in a time frame that we think is appropriate. Our Western mindset is all about quickness. We want it done and we want it now.

What we need to realize is that any type of Road Construction happens to the benefit of the driver. We are inwardly cursing those who are trying to help us out. No one wants to drive on a bad road, but no one wants their schedule messed up by Road Construction. It is a double-edged sword.

Our thinking about Road Construction filters into other areas of our lives. We want to change certain things in our lives, but we don't want to put the effort into it. There is someone in my life who is a Christian and refuses to move forward and become the person that God desires them to be. This frustrates me and many other people connected to this one person. They just make comments like "this is just how I am so you will just have to accept it!" That statement is pure garbage and a smack to the face of our Heavenly Father! Every one who is "In Christ" is expected to let God transform them in every way. When we stop being unteachable we are just living like the rest of the world. I don't know about you, but I am personally always struggling with attitudes and thinking that needs to be changed.

I am willing to let God work on me knowing that it will mess up my agenda and it will be a long process. But like Road Construction I know that when God is done with me I will be better for it. The funny thing is God gives me the decision of being worked on or not. I make that decision every day when I wake up in the morning. When I let Him fix any area of my life I know that in a short time He will identify another area that needs work also. If you have ever lived in any type of City setting you know that Road Construction is always going on. The same should be true in any Christian's life. We should be letting God work on us constantly. If we do not then we are just wasting God's time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am thankful more people have been patient with my mess ups more so than they are with road crews.

I am also glad they did not choose to take the detour and avoid me or refuse to love me.

Great stuff with many ways to play the construction analogy