Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Suited For Church

I wear a suit just about every week to Preach in. To tell you the truth I am getting tired of it after only 5 years of ministry. Several months ago I decided that I wanted a change so I decided to wear a new sweater my wife picked out for me with some dockers. What I didn't realize is that one of the oldest women in our congregation was constantly bragging to one of her friends that her Preacher always wore a suit every Sunday Morning. That particular Sunday morning wear I wore my new sweater instead was the Sunday morning that the woman's friend came to church. She mentioned this to me after the service. I didn't even blink when she told me about this, but I sure did laugh all the way home. My wife and I even laughed about it over lunch that afternoon. What is wrong with people in the Church?

The Church is now in the 21st Century and many people have not realized this. Some people dress up just to be noticed. Some because this is what was instilled in them growing up in the Church. Perhaps it's my Gen-X attitude or perhaps it's my years of theological training, but I have come to realize that God does not care about what clothes I am wearing on Sunday morning, He cares about my heart being ready to worship Him!

Isaiah 66:2b states "This is the one I esteem: he who is humble and contrite in spirit, and trembles at my word." Throughout the Old Testament and into the New Testament God is more concerned with a persons heart (the interior life) than with any other aspect. Somewhere along the way we have gotten off track with this truth. While I do think that everyone should look presentable on Sunday Mornings I do not think that those who dress up the best are closer to God.

I have decided that within the next year or so I am going to gradually get away from wearing a suit all of the time. I am doing this becuase I don't like to wear a suit every week and also because I want newcomers to feel more relaxed. The Church of the 21st Century needs to be a warm and inviting place. We are hear to preach and teach the Gospel, and the way we dress should be as welcoming as the words of Jesus.

1 comment:

Malsteem said...

Hey Jeff,

Iam sorry that you still wear a suit. I wear dockers with button up shirt, No tie, No Jacket. I look forward to the day I can preach in nice blue jeans. At that point I will be dressing like the rest of the men on Sundays.

-Mike