Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Healed

This past week my wife and I finished doing our taxes. This is the first time in 2 years that we didn't leave the tax office upset. One of the W2's that I turned in is from a former ministry from the Youngstown Ohio area. Doing our taxes this year and seeing the W2 took me back in time to my 2 years of ministry at the Ohio Church. I wish I could say that this was a great experience, but it was not. It was a time of turmoil and frustration. It was a time of learning how people want their own way in the Church and are determined to get it at any cost. Even though the Church frustrated me I still loved many from that body of believers. Even though I probably frustrated some I am still thankful for the experience.

When my wife and I left Ohio we had to pack everything by ourselves. Little did we know until we came back to Illinois (our native land) that we also packed some emotional baggage from our former ministry as well. For some reason we spent the first 2 months still complaining about this former ministry. I suppose that would make us human. But since we are now closing in on a year at our current ministry I have noticed that the pain we had experienced at our former ministry is almost completely gone. Jesus has healed much of our pain and frustration. We had the choice of letting him do that! We had to hand him the box that we packed which was full of our bitterness and anger from the last ministry. We had to make a decision to lay it at his feet and to let him take it away from us. We should have done that in the first month we were back in Illinois, but we did not. Another lesson learned I suppose. But the greatest thing about this bad experience is that it has made us both wiser and it has given us a greater outlook on God's Church.

In Matthew 11:28 Jesus says "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." Those are powerful words. Jesus wants me to bring all of my emotional baggage to him on a regular basis. He gives me the choice to do so. When I do I can experience healing. When I do not I will continue to walk in bitterness and anger. I will choose the road less traveled and let Jesus continue to heal me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could it possibly be that you were the one in the church who was trying to do it your way and not God's way? Think twice before you start blogging and bad mouthing a church that truly loves God, a church that has grown spiritually by leaps and bounds every since you left. The real healing begins when you can recognize your faults.

Pastor Jeff said...

I must comment on the above post for my friends who read this blog. I think the "anonymous" poster above was a person from my former ministry who always criticized my ministry but never really wanted to talk about anything in detail.

Reading this was good for me this morning. It is yet another reminder to all in ministry that no matter where God puts you the critic will always appear.

Our part is to turn the other cheek and move forward with God.

Anonymous said...

I am in ministry and have had some anonymous responses like you just received. Don't give it a scond thought. If you are giving God your best then give it to him.