Saturday, February 17, 2007

Homophob?

I am a routine kind of person. Every morning I get up around 5:15 a.m. and get some coffee and plop down on the couch and watch ESPN. This has been my ritual for about 3 years. This is a quiet time that allows me to catch up on sports and wake up a little before I begin my morning run. This past week I did something that I usually don't do. I switched from ESPN to ESPN2 for a few seconds where the morning show on that channel is one called "MIKE & MIKE IN THE MORNING." One of the Mike's is former NFL star Mike Golic who was an outstanding football player and the other is Mike Greenberg who is a wonderful sports radio personality. The 2 Mike's offer a great mixture of entertainment, analysis, and interviews with this program.

When I flipped the channel last week there was a controversy over former NBA player Time Hardaway who last played for the Miami Heat. The controversy was over some remarks that Hardaway made concerning former NBA player Amaechi and how he felt about homosexual men being in the NBA. It seems that Mike Greenberg was a little upset with Hardaway for stating that he would have never wanted to play with a homosexual player. Greenberg seemed a little upset by these comments by Hardaway and even called him a "homophob." Hardaway readily admitted that he was a homophob and wanted nothing to do with homosexuals in any area of life.

I personally commend Hardaway for being who he really is in a world of Political Correctness, and a world that seems to be submitting to Homosexual Militant tactics for acceptance of their lifestyle. While I enjoy listening to MIKE & MIKE IN THE MORNING I certainly did not want to listen to Mike Greenberg's comments and judgmentalism toward Hardaway when looking to get my morning fill of sports news. Why is it that our culture can bash Christians, but when someone else speaks out about a subject that is slightly sensitive there is turmoil?

The Word of God is clear about Homosexuals and their practices. In the 1st chapter of Romans we find the Apostle Paul making an interesting statement after he plainly calls homosexual practices a sin. "They (homosexuals) are fully aware of God's death penalty for those who do these things, yet they go right ahead and do them anyway. And, worse yet, they encourage others to do them, too." (Romans 1:32, NLT) I personally would never turn a homosexual away from the Church and want to minister to them, but I would not hesitate to tell them that their lifestyle is completely against God's Will for mankind. This is what I teach and preach. I do so out of love because our world wants to have life on its terms instead of submitting to the one who Created them.

As for Mike Greeenberg I wonder why this troubled him so much? I can only think that it is because he is sold out to the Political Correctness attitude of our day. The Old Testament and the New Testament are clear about homosexual practices. Those who engage in them "will not inherit the Kingdom of God!" We should not be unloving or mean when we say this, but we still must say it. As a Pastor I am under the authority of God to preach every facet of His Word. That includes the parts that disturb the culture that I live in. If God did not want us to live by a set of standards then He would not have left us the written word.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw you said you bought from CBD a lot. I am probably stating an already known idea but I buy most of my books from half.com.

That is an ebay based site. Many cheap books. Bought many books for five bucks. Good ones.

Anonymous said...

I'm an idiot. That should have appeared down in another post. Sorry.

Soooo, as for this homophob stuff. What guy wouldn't feel odd about that? Sure he was harsh the way he presented his opinon but who wouldn't feel awkward?