Friday, January 26, 2007

Marathon Training as Parable

For the past 1 1/2 years I have trained to run a Marathon that I have never run. The first time my first child was born so that came to an abrupt end. The second time I pulled a groin muscle that did not recover in time to continue the training. Now I am on my 3rd attempt and at the front of my training regiment for a Marathon in St. Louis for the month of April. Not all people enjoy running, but I always have. As a person who has been running for a good portion of my life I have realized that training for a race is very similar to training for the Christian life.

While most runners enjoy running there are rarely 2 days that are the same. One of the most frustrating ascpects of being a runner is that the way you eat today will affect your run tomorrow. This might not sound like a big deal, but if you have a sweet tooth like I do then it can be a huge problem while you are training. While I am an early morning runner and normally love getting up early it does not mean that I always feel like running. Somedays I am so tired that I have to talk myself into it. The funny thing is that after the first 2 miles I am always glad I followed through. Some days I wake up and feel great, but when I start running my body refuses to get into a good rythym and for whatever reason I feel about 100 lbs heavier and every mile becomes a struggle. To run everyday regardless of whether you are training for a Marathon or not is always an interesting adventure. To be a steady runner takes perseverance and diligence. The same is true for the Christian life.

No matter who we are in the Church or what position we hold we have to persevere in our relationship with God. I am writing these thoughts today because as a Pastor I have encountered too many people who do not treat their life with Christ with attention and care that is needed and required. When this happens they get out of shape spiritually and every problem that comes their way seems to overwhelm them. The hardest people to minister to in the Church are the ones who want a quick solution to problems that have been festering for a good while and problems that God was never invited into. Those who conquer and overcome quickly are those who have trained themselves in the Christian life. They are the ones who understand that there is EXPECTATIONS from God of His children.

Everyday as a Christian has its ups and downs just like running does. Those who keep going regardless of what they feel like are the ones who always have a close relationship with Jesus. Listen to the words of the Apostle Paul about what our part as Christians should be.

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize. " (1 Corinthians 9:24-27, NIV)

Are you in training?

No comments: